Welcome to the Franklin County Law Library. We are dedicated to providing legal resources to all citizens in central Ohio. Visit our beautiful library in downtown Columbus to find out how we can assist you.
Ohio Revised Code 307.51 established a county law library which shall not charge any fee for any service provided to any member of the general assembly or to any officer or employee of a county, municipal, or township government or court located within that county when the officer or employee is acting within the scope of the officer's or employee's employment and shall have a policy regarding public use.
The law library has a duty to avoid engaging in the unauthorized practice of law and/or the recommendation of attorney-client relationships. Therefore, the law library recommends that anyone taking legal action, or considering whether or not such legal action is appropriate, consult with an attorney. The law library will not provide interpretation of any legal material or give any legal advice. The law library will not provide assistance with personal technological devices including phones, tablets, laptops, or storage devices.
County and State Employees
The law library shall provide legal research, reference, and library services at no cost to the county and to the municipal corporations, townships, and courts within the county, to any member of the general assembly or to any officer or employee of a county, municipal, or township government or court located within that county when the officer or employee is acting within the scope of the officer's or employee's employment.
Authorized Legal Practitioners
The law library shall provide legal research, reference, and library services to those who are licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio and any paralegal or secretary of an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio. Fees for services may be charged.
The law library shall provide legal research, reference and library services to any reference librarian at one of the seven public library systems in Franklin County if they are placing the call on behalf of one of their patrons. Fees for services may be charged.
The law library shall provide legal research, reference and library services to citizens of the State of Ohio. Fees for services may be charged.
Patrons must be respectful of the rights of other patrons and those not adhering to the following library guidelines will forfeit all library privileges:
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Patrons should be aware of their volume level while in the library. This includes when talking to another patron, talking on a cell phone, watching or listening to media in the computer labs, etc.
- Patrons should refrain from using profane, obscene, abusive, and racially or ethnically offensive language.
- Patrons should be respectful of other patrons and library staff. Patrons who are intimidating, hostile, violent, or offensive will be asked to leave the library.
- Patrons may not damage, vandalize or steal any property belonging to the law library.
- Patrons may not gamble, panhandle or solicit money for any personal profit while in the law library.
- Patrons must be dressed and groomed properly. Shoes and shirts are required when using the library.
- Anyone wishing to post or distribute materials must submit the material for review and approval.
- Patrons may not be under the influence, possess drugs or alcohol, or attempt to sell drugs or alcohol.
- Only certified service animals may be brought into the law library.
- Patrons should refrain from sleeping, smoking, or chewing tobacco in the law library.
- Patrons may not use the law library as a personal office.